The old headshot on my blog was a cropped picture from my engagement shoot, and it just didn’t really feel like me. It’s not what I’d look like if you ran into me at Market Basket, you know?
And while I was at it updating my picture, I changed my buttons too. I’d love for you to pop over to the right and follow me on Bloglovin, or subscribe via email.
My poor husband had to take at least 75 pictures of me for me to find one that I kind of sort of like enough to update my headshot with. I thought I’d share some of the outtakes today with a few fun personal facts… because I don’t share a lot about me on here (and I rarely even include myself in the pictures), and after almost 4 years of blogging I feel like we should get to know each other a little better.
Hi! I’m Stephanie, and I’m awkward.
1. I have a Bachelor’s degree in Communications/Media (with a double concentration in film and video production and a minor in Professional Writing) and a Masters in Applied Communication.
…2. And I didn’t pay a dime for any of it. I know, I’m a brat. I got a full academic scholarship for my bachelor’s, then after I graduated I got a job at the school which had the perk of being able to take free classes so I got my Master’s in a year and a half while working full time. WHEW!
…3. The funny thing is, in high school I sort of cared less about going to college. I wanted to be a hairdresser, but mom said I was smart and I had to go to school first.
4. I have 7 tattoos (sorry family), a pierced belly button, and lots of holes in my ears.
…5. And I’m probably not done yet. My tattoos all pretty tiny, only one can be seen and that’s only if I have a tank top on because it’s on my shoulder. I want to cover up that one with a much bigger one and just fully commit to my illusion of badassery.
6. Everyone always asks me how I got so crafty/handy and the truth is I have no idea. I just bought a house and started doing stuff… then I bought some tools and started using them… then I started writing about it. My grandmother’s pretty crafty, and my dad’s pretty handy, so maybe it’s just in my genes.
7. I have 1.5 full time jobs outside of the blog. I work as a full time academic advisor at a community college where my focus is working with students who are suspended. I teach 2-3 courses each semester as well (Speech, First Year Seminar, and Film Appreciation right now).
…8. Even though I really do like my jobs, my dream would be to run a sanctuary for homeless senior dogs. I just love every dog so much. Even the ones I haven’t met yet. I’ll probably do a tiny version of this in a million years when I retire. (Please spay/neuter your pets- it’s exhaustingly sad how many end up in shelters!)
…9. I actually pretty much love every animal super hard. One of my friends once asked me if there was any animal I didn’t love, and the only thing I could come up with was centipedes. But it was hard to come up with one.
10. I love me some rock and roll, but I don’t really discriminate any kind of music (except country- get out of my ears, country!). I’ve seen Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper, Britney Spears, Hanson, The Avett Brothers, Thrice, O-Town, Anberlin all in concert… the list goes on and it is a very diverse list.
11. If I could have my house totally decorated for Halloween all year long I totally would, and kind of do. There’s a skull in almost every room, but they I think they blend in pretty well. Most people don’t even notice it. Or a t least they don’t say anything.
…12. In fact, every single year I go to a horror movie/rock and roll convention (called Rock and Shock) about 30 minutes from my house and it is freaking awesome. Film nerds, unite!
13. My husband and I met my senior year of college, then 2 years later got an apartment with another friend, then we started dating, then I bought a house, and then we got married. He was one of my best friends for years before we ever got together.
14. I’m pretty happy to be openly feminist, and I think you should be too. All it means is being the best woman you can, and encouraging others to do the same.
…15. One of my main goals with the blog is to inspire women that they can do anything. Literally anything. Just pick up a power tool and try.
Anything else you want to know? Just ask! And tell me something about youuuu in the comments too!