I am slowlyyyy working on updating my living room to be a bit lighter, brighter, and (gulp) more colorful. It started with painting over my Sharpie Stencil Wall, which was a little painful to do but necessary for the vision I’ve got for my living room. Even though that wall took a lot of hours to complete, it cost under $5 so it wasn’t too big of a hit.
For reference, here’s a semi-recent picture of my living room:
I painted over the faux stencil wall with one coat of primer, then 2 coats of Behr’s White Truffle- which is the same color as our entryway, stairway, and split level landing. That black bench is gone now due to a little puppy rambunctiousness that was totally adorable and worth it. (RIP bench, gone but not forgotten.)
Once the wall was painted, it came time to make some GIGANTIC art to cover that new blank wall with! I order THIS shower curtain and it is awesome. I washed (cold water!) and dried it, then ironed it forever.
Next was the fun part- I laid the shower curtain out on the floor and measured out a frame of 1×2’s. Since this piece is so big, I used my Kreg Jig pocket hole maker to make a square frame with several braces in the middle. Here’s what it looked like while I was dry fitting it all together:
And in case you’re nervous about making pocket holes, here’s a quick one handed video I shot of me using it. It’s a piece of cake!! I used a little wood glue at the joints as well, just in case.
After the frame was built, I stretched the fabric over it and stapled it in place. I put two staples on each side just to hold it in place, then my husband pulled from one side while I stretched and stapled the other (having two people just helps make sure everything stays center and also really tight).
A million staples later and it was done. And, because it’s just some 1×2’s and a shower curtain it’s super lightweight- I used one anchor screw to hang it and that’s it.
Here’s a view from the back once it was built and the fabric was stapled on:
Once on the wall it looked great, but not me yet. It needed some BAZAM. Which in my world, means it needed some gold. I’m not patient enough to go to the store and get fabric medium, so I just grabbed some gold craft paint, mixed it with a little water to thin it out, then painted in the top of the curtain and a few other spots. Much better!
The shower curtain was about $50 and the 1×2’s were about $10, so for $60 I have a really cool piece of art that’s bigger than me! For reference, I am 5 feet tall. 🙂
To orient a bit in the house, this is a shared freestanding wall for the kitchen and living room. You can enter the living room from both the left and right sides of it, as well as from the stairs that lead to our second level.
In real life, this area looks like this:
As of today, the living room is looking like this:
I think I’m going to be painting the chairs white, but I kind of like the zebra pattern against the wave pattern so I may not reupholster them. I’m also going to redo the black coffee table and its’ two matching end tables…. wait till you see what I have in mind!