January just seems to bring out the organization in everyone, and for me it’s no different. I’ve started the year by purging my kitchen– man, have I accumulated a lot of kitchen crap. My stuff, my mom’s old stuff, my Nonna’s old stuff, my great aunt’s old stuff. Stuff stuff stuff. There’s no need.
In case you’re in the purging mood, here’s a solid list of nonsense you probably have in your kitchen too that you totally don’t need and should donate/trash/free yourself from:
1. Shot glasses. There are two grown adults in my house. There is no point in time where we will ever need to take shots with 45 of our closest friends, therefore we do not need to own 45 shot glasses.
2. Drinking glasses. There are white wine glasses, red wine glasses, margarita glasses, martini glasses, beer glasses, regular drinking glasses… the list goes on.. Goodbye to the 12 super huge drinking glasses my mom passed down to me 3 years ago and I’ve never touched!
3. Chipped dishes. I have 5 separate dish sets: the green Ikea one that everyone has, the plastic ones to go with my plastic cups, the clear glass ones passed down from my great aunt, the fancy holiday ones also passed down from my great aunt, and the amber set I bought on auction because it was like $4. It’s safe to say that I can throw out the chipped ones and still have enough. And I’m going to bet you’re probably in the same boat.
And switching gears a bit, let’s take a look at the baking cabinet.
- Expired flavor packets. Perhaps 3 Thanskgivings ago I bought too many McCormick packets for brown gravy. And I don’t even like brown gravy. And apparently those packets expire. Trash!
- Expired spices. From that one time I bought cumin for that 1 recipe and I don’t even remember what that recipe was. Apparently spices have a shelf life too. Goodbye old spices!
- Balsamic Vinegar. I’m pretty sure you can’t keep the same bottle for 5 years after it’s been opened (can you tell we don’t use a lot of it??) Plus, we were gifted a new bottle for Christmas. Goodbye old vinegar!
And finally, the dreaded fridge.
- Scary Food Storage Container. Oh, old container, I don’t even know what’s in you. And I’m afraid to find out. So you’re just going right into the trash without ever being opened.
- Condiments. Ketchup, mustard, mayo, dressing… all of which we almost exclusively use only in the summer. Goodbye stinky old condiments!
- Red Sauce. There’s 2 of us, we never finish a whole jar of sauce before it kicks the bucket, but I always hope we might, so I save it. (PS- in an effort to not be so wasteful on this front I’ve started buying the smaller cans of sauce and doctoring them up myself.)
Are you in the purging mood? What’s some junk you’ve been hanging on to for no reason?