Three years ago when we moved into this house we had to repair a bit of water damaged drywall in our basement, and because we knew nothing at all about home repair we bought a giant bundle of 4ft long wood shims (for about $10) to assist with this project. At the time I didn’t know they came in neat little 4inch long packages.
Anyway I’ve been using the shims to make wall decor ever since. Today’s project almost used up the last of it:
Back in February I used my Silhouette Cameo to add a little Stevie Nicks quote to a map (I work at a college and the library regularly puts old/outdated books out for free. I regularly hoard them to make projects like this.). Here’s a close up, edited version of the quote so you can see it a little better:
To mount it, I used my miter saw to cut wood shims down to a pennant shape.
Then, I used Gorilla wood glue to attach them to solid piece of 1×2.
After lettering it dry for 24 hours I used some Minwax stain cloths (leftover from my craft craft console table build) to stain the wood. I also added a little bit of gold craft paint to accent the edges and add some glam.
I was afraid nails would split the shims, because they’re not really meant for stuff like this, so I applied the glue to the back of the 1×2 and then all around it as well. It’s solid as a rock now, and the 1×2 also serves as the hook for the wall.
This little corner is just so cozy now, and was sooooo inexpensive to put together:
- Antlers and orange frame from Marshall’s, probably less than $20 for both
- High-Chair is a $0 hand me down from a friend, updated here
- Lamp is from Ikea, maybe about $10
- Wood barrel was $6 from the Habitat Restore, spruced up with a walnut here
- Wood Shim Wall Pennant cost $0 to make because I had everything on hand
Oh yeah, that wall map is yet another wood shim project (here). I may have a problem.
Also, the wood slice quote (which reads “everyday I’m hustlin’ “)? Another Silhouette project (here).
Want to Check Out More Silhouette Projects?
My Silhouette Challenge friends and I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, take a look at the projects below for a wealth of Silhouette inspiration!
1. The Moberg Family // 2. Black and White Obsession // 3. American Honey // 4. Weekend Craft // 5. Grey Luster Girl // 6. From Wine to Whine // 7. Cutesy Crafts // 8. Practically Functional // 9. Home At Eight// 10. McCall Manor // 11. Dragonfly & Lily Pads // 12. Adventures in All Things Food // 13. Create it. Go! // 14. Please Excuse My Craftermath… // 15. The Outlandish Momma // 16. The Sensory Emporium// 17. My Paper Craze // 18. unOriginal Mom // 19. My Favorite Finds // 20. Architecture of a Mom //